Mastodon Politics, Power, and Science: Rotational Partition Function for a Diatomic Molecule (Quantum, High Temperature Approximation):

Saturday, March 8, 2025

Rotational Partition Function for a Diatomic Molecule (Quantum, High Temperature Approximation):


This formula from statistical mechanics describes the contribution of molecular rotation to the partition function (and thus thermodynamic properties) of a diatomic gas at temperatures that are high enough to excite rotational states but not so high that classical approximations are fully valid.


Work in Progress: 

Starting with: 
Z_rot ≈ (8π² I T k) / (σ h^2)

Replacing definitions:
Z_rot ≈ (8π² I T ( K_Hz Hz_kg kg_E )) / (σ ( Hz_kg kg_E  ) h)

Simplify:
 Z_rot ≈ (8π² I T K_Hz) / (σ h)

K_Hz = k/h, converts temperature to frequency 
h = Hz_kg kg_E
k = K_Hz Hz_kg kg_E
T is the input variable for the temperature.





No comments:

Post a Comment

The 8th-Grade Crutch: How the 2-Body Problem Broke Modern Physics

J. Rogers, SE Ohio If you want to understand why fundamental physics has been stagnant for 70 years, don’t look at String Theory or the Mult...