Monday, August 6, 2018

Mini house update.

An insanely strong storm had winds that tweaked the storage shed walls so they are leaning a couple of inches now.  The storage shed seriously needs plyboard sheeting on it.

The mini house with its curved arch wall trusses has stood up to the storms this summer perfectly. They don't even move in the winds.

I gave 30 days notice to my landlord at the apartment. Paid my last rent.   Scary that I am now forced to move over to the mini house and it needs a lot of work still.

I have all the shelves moved over to the 8x8 storage shed now and loaded up with stuff from the apartment. Sliced out a big chunk of my thumb knuckle taking apart the last shelf. Painful, but I heal absurdly fast.

This weekend I hope to get the mini house moved over to its final location and leveled on blocks.  This will involve a bobcat and a trailer and me and a few strong friends. :D

Then I have 2 paychecks this month to get the siding, roofing and insulation on the mini-house and the storage shed.


After that I need to build windows reusing the glass scanner tops from copiers.  I have about 100 of the glass tops in various sizes.  I also want to build a solar powered water distiller, a solar oven, and a solar composter.

I also managed to get some huge sheets of Plexiglas for free and I am going to build a large solar water heater using plastic tubing and a solar powered water recirculating pump.

I managed to find some 55 gallon metal drums for free that held glycol before.  Going to test build a large rocket mass stove that will heat the mini-home during the coming winter.

I will need to get a gravel road put in across fairly flat ground. And plan on putting in a 4 unit mail box with room for the mail person to pull fully off the road to put the mail in the boxes.  With a couple of large locking containers for packages.

My plan for the electrical system is to start with a 100W solar panel from harbor freight, charging a marine battery. Then use dc to dc converters to charge a single laptop, my phone, a monitor, led lights, and a 12v ceiling fan.  Once I figure out how much power I am using I will be able to add more panels over time to 

Once I am living in the mini house full time in September, I will have a lot more time to get these projects finished.  Will take plenty of pictures and post each project here as I work on them. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment