Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Making an inexpensive Internet Kiosk for MyMathLab

So far I have a monitor I fixed by replacing the capacitors, a Raspberry Pi in an enclosure I 3D printed, a short vga cable, and an hdmi to VGA converter.  I booted using an older raspberian distro on an 8GB SD card.

This is the hdmi to VGA converter I ordered:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APJL1XG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was just $5.34 with free shipping.  The shipping did take about a month from China.

(Images to follow this weekend.)

At first I got no video at all, the monitor would just go right to sleep.   It was as if the brand new adapter did not work.  I tried it on another system to confirm that it did work. A quick google search found the following site:


Which talked about needing to edit the config.txt file on the root file of the SD card to enable HDMI.  I uncommented one of the lines after reading the comment above the line to force the Raspi to always use the HDMI port.

After I rebooted with the changed card, the display came right back up.

Now I need to get a keyboard and mouse connected to the Raspi.  After that I can start working on configuring the SD card to only run a web browser that was locked down to just a couple of sites. :D