Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Making an inexpensive Internet Kiosk for MyMathLab
So far I have a monitor I fixed by replacing the capacitors, a Raspberry Pi in an enclosure I 3D printed, a short vga cable, and an hdmi to VGA converter. I booted using an older raspberian distro on an 8GB SD card.
This is the hdmi to VGA converter I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APJL1XG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It was just $5.34 with free shipping. The shipping did take about a month from China.
(Images to follow this weekend.)
At first I got no video at all, the monitor would just go right to sleep. It was as if the brand new adapter did not work. I tried it on another system to confirm that it did work. A quick google search found the following site:
Which talked about needing to edit the config.txt file on the root file of the SD card to enable HDMI. I uncommented one of the lines after reading the comment above the line to force the Raspi to always use the HDMI port.
After I rebooted with the changed card, the display came right back up.
Now I need to get a keyboard and mouse connected to the Raspi. After that I can start working on configuring the SD card to only run a web browser that was locked down to just a couple of sites. :D