Mastodon Politics, Power, and Science: Update on my Raspbmc media player project.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Update on my Raspbmc media player project.

The Infrared Remote control is working great now.  This means that I can just reuse a free old remote control and move the $20 wireless USB keyboard onto another project.    This also means that the player draws even less power now, the IR Receivers are amazingly low power.  I am re-using the old remote control from the media player that Netgear deactivated as soon as I hooked it up to the Internet. 

I got an IR receiver from Lady Ada's site here:  http://www.adafruit.com/products/157 for just a couple of dollars.  Plus shipping, so buy a lot of other stuff there too. *L*

I also bought the cable and bread board connector for the Raspi here:  http://www.adafruit.com/products/914 Since this is  reusable for many projects I consider it a tool and am not adding it to the cost of this single project.

If you want they sell a remote control with a configuration file all figured out for you already.  If you want to reuse and old remote, that is easy to do too.

I followed the directions on Ada Fruit as well and programmed my remote control in just a few minutes.

http://learn.adafruit.com/using-an-ir-remote-with-a-raspberry-pi-media-center

I had to type in the commands from a screen shot, here is something you can copy and paste from:

sudo modprobe lirc_rpi
sudo kill $(pidof lircd)

mode2 -d /dev/lirc0
irrecord -d /dev/lirc0 ~/lircd.conf
 

A lot of remote controls have been programmed already, and the config files shared at this site: http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/

This receiver is so much more sensitive than any I have ever used before.  I can literally point the remote control 180 degrees away from the chip and it still reads the button presses.  The old media player would sometimes not get a button press pointing right at it.

I have three more of the chips and 3 more Raspi boards, so I will be adding a wire harness to each of these 4 chips and wiring up every Raspi I own with inexpensive IR. 

The Raspi's can also send IR so I will be working on that next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The 8th-Grade Crutch: How the 2-Body Problem Broke Modern Physics

J. Rogers, SE Ohio If you want to understand why fundamental physics has been stagnant for 70 years, don’t look at String Theory or the Mult...