Friday, October 26, 2012

I ordered a 3D printer

A Replicator 2 from Makerbot. It is sturdily built and is ready to print in less than an hour after being taken out of the box. The only downside is that it is more expensive and more of a "prosumer" level printer than the others. It also uses a renewable plastic called PLA which has characteristics different than that of the ABS plastics.

Looking at the less expensive printers, I was not impressed by their stability and repeatable accuracy. And the time it took to begin getting reliable prints was too high for my needs. 

My plan is to learn how to make computer models, learn how to do 3d scanning of real items, and then print those models precisely on the printer.  And to have that mastered in about 6 months.  I will also be printing parts out from thingiverse.com.

 I won't get the printer for a month or two.  Waiting is tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment